Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 letter Abbreviations

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 letter Abbreviations
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:00:07 -0500 (CDT)
Larry,

Thanks for the explanation.  It certainly helps to hear things directly from
the source!

There was also a claim that led one to believe that every one of the 3077+
counties had it's own unique 4 letter designator.  Based on what you've said,
it sounds like there was some mis-interpretation on that score, too.  What
you've described makes a lot more sense!

One question remains in my mind, though; I don't know whether or not you'd know
the answer.  If you designed the abbreviations with only the MARAC CW contest
in mind, and had no intentions of using them otherwise (although others were
welcome to if they wanted), then who is behind this sudden push to make the
MARAC list you designed the "standard" for all?

And for that matter (OK, so now it's two questions), if, as others stated on
this reflector, the Ca QSO Party was supposed to be leading the way in adopting
this new "standard," then why do 20% of their abbreviations differ from the
ones you wrote?