Re: [CQ-Contest] Back When... and Phonetics again

To: <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Back When... and Phonetics again
From: "Vladimir V. Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:46:27 -0500
Sorry, can't resist and turn back to the "Phonetics".

Some time ago I worked a station signing "Kilowatt-<number>-<single letter>.
I asked him, is it a special event station or something else. The answer
was, no, this is just a normal US call-sign. So I asked, why you got a
single letter prefix and a single letter suffix call then? In return I was
patiently explained that I am totally wrong and I have to learn proper
phonetic, because his prefix is "Kilo" - "Watt", meaning, KW...

Once again, if you want to play on the air, no problem to use any phonetics.
If you want to be understood and especially get good contesting results, use
the inernationally recognized phonetics.

And please, even if you suggest, your phonetic sounds good for you, try to
think how others would consider that. In one of QPs last winter there was a
gentleman with Dirty Underwear for his DU suffix... At least for me it
sounds quite... well...

Sorry to jump in.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE