Re: [TowerTalk] SALE On Remote Site Point 2 Point Gear

To: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>, <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SALE On Remote Site Point 2 Point Gear
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:30:16 -0700
Not sure what you were thinking here.

IMHO, this solution is tailored as a "last mile" for internet
access.  With remote station control, you are not trying to
get internet access at the radio station, unless it is an
internet remote base.  In that case, the delays of the internet
will be the limiting factor and you don't need anything especially
fancy to get from the station to the internet backbone.

It sounds like you are planning an architecture where there is
a computer at the remote radio site and you control the computer
over LAN.  It would be far simpler, and even less latency, if
you located the computer at the control point and used an RF
serial port link to the radio's RS-232 port.  In that case,
you only need 4800 baud, and of course, there is zero latency.
An RF serial port in the 900 MHz band under either part 15 or
ham rules will go very long distances and is bulletproof.  You
can also, of course, use an RF audio link and get "high fidelity"
audio compared to VOIP.

N8LP's web site explains operation by remote serial port.

Rick N6RK