Re: [CQ-Contest] I GOT IT ... I GOT IT !!!

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] I GOT IT ... I GOT IT !!!
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:41:27 -0500
Bill Turner wrote:

> [...]
    Good point, Bill. In my other hobby, Amateur Astronomy, it is pretty
much the same thing. There are a number of people who want to change
these hobbies to attract youth. It just won't work  The kids who are
attracted to Ham Radio need to be attracted because of the technical
aspects, not because we are cool. I'm certainly not! ;^)

    Even just working with youth is completely different than it used to
be. Do we want  people under the age of majority in our clubs going to
say Field day or maybe doing a contest with us?  Then we better either
require their parents stay with them, or everyone there will need to get
a background check.  I've worked with kids in sports, and background
checks are mandatory there. A lot of people will just figure it isn't
worth the hassle.

    Do we want more youth involved in Amateur Radio? We need to change
society so that youth are attracted to meaningful things, so that
someone who might show a technical inclination is celebrated, not
thought of as a weirdo, and where emulation of gangsterism and street
cred are frowned upon.

    Just a few things to think about..

    73 de Mike KB3EIA -