Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: "'Ron Notarius W3WN'" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>,"'CQ Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:14:46 -0500

> Most administrations around the world have not adapted
> band/mode limitations like the FCC has in the US.  There are
> many reasons for that, one of which is (IMHO) the fact that
> most amateurs follow the voluntary band plans, thus a government
> imposed restriction is not neccesary.  Those of us who do not
> show reasonable self-restraint jeopardizes that.

Self-restraint is complete BS in this context.  As has been stated
again and again, the issue is available bandwidth.  If there are
no clear frequencies for a big gun station to hear on HE WILL FIND
ONE even if it is someplace you do not personally approve.  As
long as other administrations permit their licensees to operate
any mode they choose on any frequency they choose, there is not
a thing you (or a contest sponsor can do about it).

If I were a competitive, multi-multi or serious 40 meter single
band entrant and I received answers to my calls below 7030, I
would continue to do it ... after all I'm not transmitting
outside your bandplan.

As to whether regulator restrictions are necessary in other countries
that is a matter separate debate.  Other nations do not have nearly
the number of licensees that the US does.  However, if one looks at
the percentage of those who do things that YOU do not approve, then
there is no difference between the US and Europe or South America
taken as a whole.

> But when the SSB ops occupy all or almost all of the band, as
> SSB operations below 7120 often did this last weekend, it's not
> just Main Street and other main roads being blocked, it's ALL
> roads being blocked.  No alternative routes available.

Bull crap ... 30 meters was practically unused as was everything
below 3650 or so for the entire weekend.  There were plenty of
alternative routes.

> To use a similar analogy, when the Boston Marathon is run, do
> only selected roads that are a part of or adjacent to the route
> get shut down for a few hours, or is every road in and out of
> Boston shot down?

Your analogy is completely flawed ... 10.100-10.150 and 3.500-
3.650 are perfectly usable "alternate routes."  Just because
you might need to drive a little farther doesn't mean the road
won't get you where you want to go.