[CQ-Contest] Section phonetics on phone

To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Section phonetics on phone
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:46:05 -0500
Personally, I think whatever phonetics you want to use -- or not -- to
communicate what your section is is fine.

I have noticed that some people have trouble understanding when I say "Puerto
Rico," but if I say "papa radio" they get it.  As long as they ultimately know
to put PR in their log, it doesn't matter.  It's that bottom line that's the
point, that they understand that I'm saying PR.  Most all of us use computer
logging and I don't know of any program that will allow you to type in the full
"Puerto Rico" or any other section -- you are forced to use an abbrevation.
And virtually no one spells out their section on CW either -- abbreviations are
the accepted way to convey what your section is.  After all, SCV is not the
name of a section; it's an abbreviation for the name of the section.  It's
another way to convey Santa Clara Valley -- and so is sugar charlie victor.

An interesting -- and unique -- one is MDC.  It is one of the only ones where
two separate "jurisdictions" (e.g. states, but in this case one is a state and
one is a federal district, which may be a one-of-a-kind situation in the U.S.
although maybe some others like KP1 or KP5 are analogous -- but rare).  Another
two-jurisdiction combination is VE8/VY1 and another is KG4/KP2, interestingly.

Back to MDC....I have long contended that MD is a valid abbreviation for MDC.
I believe most MDC people, at least the active contesters, do send MD, rather
than MDC.  You could say the M is for Maryland and D is for the District.  Then
again, you could say MD is okay and DC is okay to send, both for the same
section.  I've been chewed out before (when working W1AW) for not sending MDC.
So now when I work W1AW I send MDC.  That encounter bothered me so much I had
to start operating from PR instead of MD and haven't opped from MD since (just
kidding).  Other examples, like MD, MDC, or DC all being valid to send:  EM or
EMA and other variations like this one, NWT or NT or YU all working to convey
what section a VE8 or VY1 is in.  As long as the person on the receiving end
knows what section you are saying, you can send it however you want.  It's
getting the correct section in the receiving log that counts, not how you
convey that information.

And by the way, DC should be a separate multiplier, in my opinion.  Why not,
it'd add to the fun, and would definitely get more activity out of W3DQ, K3VOA,
W3DOS, KE3VV (I think it is) and whoever else resides in D.C. and they'd have a
heck of a good time being a rare mult (like NNY) and we'd have a good time
having another one to work for the sweep.  This is a unique situation in the
continental U.S., I think, two jurisdictions being combined like this.  D.C. is
definitely not a part of Maryland as anyone in Maryland or D.C. could tell you.
 The comparable situations, like I say, may be VE8/VY1, non-U.S., Maritime
Canada where more than one province is combined, KG4/KP2 being combined, and
the Pacific section where various islands or island groups, separated by large
distances, are combined into the PAC section, all the "KH" callsigns.  Can you
imagine if each of the KH groups was a separate SS mult??  That'd definitely
add some interest and some life into SS operation from
  the Pacific!  And, unless someone went to places like KH9, nobody would get a
sweep!  So maybe that one's a bad idea, for that reason!

73 - Rich, KE3Q (WP3R op).