[CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]? VE6EX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]? VE6EX
From: <dlazar@telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:40:09 -0800
    Doug:
   It really is an interesting result is'nt it. I entered the unlimited class
in one of the SS events last year and ended in the top ten (7th) running
totally minimal gear. ---Less than 500w on the low bands/ maybe ~200 on the hi
ones, so1r, city of Calgary restricted antennas (2el  on 15 and 20/lo
tower/quarter slopers) AND LOTS OF PACKET SPOTS!!!. My cluster connection was a
casual laptop on a chair on dialup. It was the cw event.
   Doug, it was too easy. The big thing about SS is that it's  tough, and that
means the computer thing makes it too easy. Getting a sweep is a walk in the
park. Popping onto new Q's in the last hour when 1k plus are in the log is just
an extension of so2r. You know what a sweat the last hour is when you have to
s+p a log with 1k+ Q's. If you want to run with the "Big Dogs" you go SOHP, and
I bet in the future the so1r guys on HP will be the "Crem of the crop", maybe
not in the numbers, but in the class ops. If I run HP, thats where I want to
be; even with the city noise/chintzy setup. Finishing in the top part of the
list is very sweet that way!!!
   In Canada we are doomed to the effects of the vy1tt/zm appearance and that
will make  CDN and /the ve3 guys leave. AKA "winning your own trophy", but if
you really want to compete you have to try to beat the odds and face them and
the unlevel field.
   See you in SS fone, Doug, "I wanna be your AB mult"!!!.
   GL and good rates,
   Dan, VE6EX..