[CQ-Contest] Re: 4 digit CK in SS coming???

To: "CQ Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 4 digit CK in SS coming???
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:53:48 -0500
W1MX is wrong.  Or more accurately, they mis-interpreted the check rule.

The key is that the check is supposed to be the year FIRST LICENSED, not the
year FIRST QRV.  And by that, so that we don't have someone wonder about
drivers license or some other license, we mean the year first licensed by
government authority.

W1MX was first on the air in 1909.  (So was K3CR, by the way, but MIT beat
them QRV by a few months).

BUT!  The US government did not start licensing stations until 1912, when
what became W1MX recevied 1XM, and what evolved into K3CR got 8XE.
Therefore, a check earlier than (19)12 is technically not possible.

So by strict interpretation of the rules, W1MX and K3CR should both be using
a check of 12 in Sweepstakes.

And as we already know, strict interpretation is not taking place, and no
one is being penalized or DQ'd or check-logged for an incorrect check.  So
they're using whatever they damned well want to.  But that doesn't make them
right.