Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest spotting
From: stoskopf@tri.net
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:56:38 -0600 (CST)
The downside of no spotting in contests is that I was on Easter Island for
a few hours the first night of the CQWWPhone.  Set up on 15M and called CQ
forever.  Tried calling the big guns and got "Too weak OM" or such.  Could
actually hear the back lobes of their beams as they scanned NE to NW.
Finally did a bit of S&P on isolated stations and managed to get their
attention by calling "Zone 12, Zone 12".  Worked a couple of Russians who
were obviously turned my way, ZL, KH6, and a couple of stateside stations
who were patient and gave me 57s when the beams came around.  I asked all
to spot me and was always told, "Not assisted".  My hotel had no Internet
connection so basically I wasted four hours on 15 and 20M for 8 contacts.
At least I had fun earlier that week as VP6UU.  N0UU