Re: [CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER,Wil

To: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER,Will Robinson!!!]
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:42:13 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:39:20 -0600, "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
 wrote:

>The rule says:
>
>       2.1.1. Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements
>involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc)  is
>not permitted.
>
>Let me point out the key words in that rule that make this very clear:
>
>       OPERATING ARRANGEMENTS

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I take it to mean that the words in parentheses are there to clarify
what is meant by "nets" only, not to "spotting assistance" AND "nets".
If the author had wanted the clarification to refer to both, he would
have phrased it like this:

"Use of spotting assistance or nets, both of which include operating
arrangements involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet,
Internet, etc, is not permitted."

Since he didn't word it that way, "spotting assistance" stands alone
as does "nets" together with its clarification in parentheses.

Granted, it is poorly written and open to misinterpretation. A
revision is badly needed.

Bill, W6WRT