Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB reflections

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB reflections
From: "Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:58:57 -0500

Contest secret, Part 2:

Try RTTY. You can do an entire contest without speaker or headphones,
in absolute silence. XYL approved. :-)

Bill, W6WRT

Uuhhhh, sorta, Bill.  That's almost like saying you can just turn on a code
reader and do morse code at 180 wpm.  Works well until the signal fades,
hits some QRM, etc.  Then you have to be listening to know which "print" you
can trust and which you can't.

(waxing bit)

Silence?  Aren't sound cards wonderful?  I remember the days when....  I was
a kid riding my bike over to W3CRG's house so I could do an RTTY contest.
About 1 AM there would be about 3 local signals left on the band:  Me,
W3EKT, and K4GMH.  We'd chat a bit and about that time I'd get kicked out of
the house 'til dawn from the Model 19 and paper tape loops thumping the
floorboards from the basement!  Those were the days when a top score was
about 300 Q's...

73, TY K3MM