Re: [CQ-Contest] MIDCARS

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] MIDCARS
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:47:02 -0700
That has happened to me, many times... during one Field Day, running qrp on a
vertical, ran into the same situation, however, I continued working around,
under over and through the intentional qrm, after watching the rate go up
instead of down, while this was going on, I decided to stay, and run, and that
I did, after over an hour of solid HP carrier... it suddenly developed a
sporatic sound, and extreme varied power level. Then another Q or two, it
suddenly quit. .... the silence was deafening. I opened the filters and worked
through the additional stations that had been calling out side the pass range,
meanwhile considering if I should feel bad about the potential of playing a
part in costing a radio or an amp its life....
  Over the years it comes back, the thought of my responsibility to the poor
radio or amp, likely an amp, loosing its life because I didn't give in.
  But then, perspective comes around, and all is well. --...   ...--Dale - WC7S
in Wy

> From: dx35@hilding.com> To: cq-contest@contesting.com> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006
> 22:28:39 -0800> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] MIDCARS> > Sean, K8KHZ, wrote:> > >
> Then there are those places where you start to call CQ after asking 4-5> >
> times. No net is there but the the ops are monitoring the freq so the come
> to> > radio saying it is in use.> > During the CW SS, I QSY'd to the lower
> 80m CW spectrum and found what appeared to be a "vacant" frequency.> > I sent
> "QRL?" {pause}. No response.> > I sent "QRL? {pause} again. No response.> >
> At this point I assumed it was safe to proceed, and started calling CQ.> > A
> "mystery" station then appeared telling me to QSY in QLF CW. This did NOT
> sound like an SO2R "Pro".> > I asked "Who?"> > The response that came back
> was some CW crap alleging the frequency was in use. Oh really?> > Highly
> irritated by the station's refusal to identify, I decided to waste time and
> listen for a while. Nothing heard (for what seemed like hours).> > If I rememb
 er correctly, there were one or two additional "anti-social interchanges"
between us, but the station would not identify and didn't start calling CQ.> >
I finally said: "Use it or lose it". There was still no CQ by the other
station, and no "resumption of any (alleged) prior QSO", just non-identified
"QSY".> > At that point, THE FREQUENCY WAS MINE...and I started CQing again.> >
For the next 5 or 10 minutes, a "mystery" CW signal started QRMing me sending
"LID" with his (doubtful it was a "her") crappy QLF signal QSYing back and
forth above, on, and below MY frequency.> > IMHO, there are some real Psychos
in this world. God Bless 'em anyway...I made QSOs *through* the venemous
intentional QRM.> > 73...> > Rick, K6VVA> > > >