Re: [CQ-Contest] New Run Mode Macro

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Run Mode Macro
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:08:45 -0800
I originally wrote:

> >I am definitely adding a separate key that will auto-append a "?" to any
> >partial letter callsign (as an optional method)  and then send the exchange.

Bill, W6WRT, replied:

> I think it's a bit risky to send the exchange before you know the
> other guy's call sign. Too often the other guy will miss the ?, think
> the QSO is completed and be gone. Then what to you do?

I would agree if this were for S&Ping, Bill, but this is ONLY for "Run"" mode
as identified in the Subjectline.  If the other guy just called you, chances
are slim he would ditch out before sending *his* exchange!

> With me it's a firm rule: Make sure both stations have both calls
> right before sending the exchange.

IMHO, this procedure can slow down your rate when you a "Running" and you
encounter dead-zero beat/same signal strength situations like I described.

The use of the "?" is also more for when encountering casual ops whose partial
callsign you don't recogniz, and they are not the sharpest cards in the deck.

But when copying the start of a station's suffix after some obliterated
prefix/number, the "?" most likely won't be used in situations like if I hear
what starts with "BA", get that typed in, and the final letter is an "i",  'cuz
I'll be 99.9% sure it's K4BAI.  The same thing if there are two real LOUD QRQ
dead zero beat signals but part way through both stations sending I manage to
detect "BB" as the suffix.  Most likely, that will be N3BB.

The use of such a multi-function ONE BUTTON option is just that...an option for
whenever and wherever.

73...

Rick, K6VVVA