Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window
From: "Gerard Lynch" <gerrylynch@freenetname.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 01:07:41 -0000
From: "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@comcast.net>

> After seeing N7MAL's posting, I got to thinking about this window.  The
> IARU bandplan for all
> regions show SSB frequencies available well below the US allocation.  With
> the "foreign-only" phone
> band just 40kHz below, starting at 3750, I'm not sure I understand the
> purpose of this window. If it
> is to get the DX in the clear, there is plenty of room below 3750 (for
> now).  Surely it isn't simply
> because they don't want to operate "split"??

I had a real problem with all those Sweepstakes CW operators.

I was looking for a few quiet ragchews on 40 metres on Sunday night before
starting another busy working week.  But I couldn't because the band was
full of strong Sweepstakes signals from North America.  I can't operate
Sweepstakes because I don't live in North America.  And I can't operate WARC
bands, because even 30 metres is gone to Southern locations by 1930 or so
this far North at this time of year.

So I sat and listened to Sweepstakes stations.  I listened to VO1HE run a
nice Sunday afternoon pileup.  I listened to stations from the Rocky
Mountain states at S6 or S7 well before their sunset and wondered where they
were the rest of the week.

Actually, it was a lot of fun.  The day I stop having fun is the day I stop
ham radio.  But then maybe I'm not an old man who gets his kicks out of
being bitter and twisted.

If I get to 60 (31 years to go and counting) and turn out as bitter and
twisted as some radio amateurs, do me a favour and shoot me.

73

Gerry G0RTN
Vanity Page at http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk
"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."