Re: [CQ-Contest] K5TR's show of hands.

To: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K5TR's show of hands.
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:04:30 -0600
Some comments:

1. Are you entering in to an "operating agreement" by casually asking "Know
where there's a KP4?"?
If you say yes, then your conscience should compel you to enter as assisted.
I think, however, there's a difference between "Hey, know where's a KP4?"
and "OK, Joe, next weekend, let's feed each other mult spots as 'random acts
of kindness,' kay?" (The answer to this question changes with CQ contests,
which refer only to DX alerting assistance of any kind.)

2. Directional CQs are OK. You're not asking anybody for help and you're not
using any tools or technology not available to any one else in your class.
That some people may choose not to employ such tactics is not your problem.
I would prefer to just call CQ and then stop the pileup every so often with
"Was that you, J?" But neither is prohibited, so as Hans would say, both are
mandatory! ;=)

3. With rate, mults happen. So focus on rate, particularly in SS with so low
a ceiling on mults. Rate wins contests, which is why that at any kind of
rate, CT's "Mults worth..." window gives you such little time to work mults.

4. It's such a random and rare example that I think we don't need to sweat
it.

73, kelly
ve4xt