Re: [CQ-Contest] Keep it to yourself: The only consistent method

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>,<steve.root@culligan4water.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Keep it to yourself: The only consistent method
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 06:44:00 -0600
Bill,

You said:

"Also, in order to be "assisted", any spotting info must be either solicited
by you or fed directly to you, so whatever you overhear on the air NOT
DIRECTED TO YOU does not affect your unassisted status."

I looked at the excellent ARRL White Paper, as well as the General rules, HF
rules, and I also checked the SS rules, and the ARRL DX rules,  and do not
see any mention of "any spotting info must be either solicited by you or fed
directly to you".

What is your reference for this definition? I am specifically interested in
the "fed directly to you" part.

You also said:

"In the context of contesting, "assistance" means the help of a third person
in finding and/or working other stations, or in operating the equipment at
your station."

What is your reference for this definition?

I believe that you are mixing multi-op up with "assistance" as it used in
the context of contesting.

If someone is helping you find or work other stations or helping you operate
your equipment, that person would be *another operator* not just an
"assistant". Of course, if that person is part of some sort of spotting
network somewhere away from your station that you are connected to, you are
an assisted operation - not a multi-op.

73,

Bob W5OV