Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: "'Randy Thompson'" <k5zd@charter.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: <k0luz@topsusa.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:33:30 -0500
Although propagation today seems to be poor for the 9A contest,  I checked
out the rules and lo and behold it states "All stations are allowed to use
the spots from DX packet Cluster."  Now doesn't that make it simple?  If
it's an advantage,  everyone can use it,  if it is a detriment,  then "just
say no."  No worries about cheating, advantages, writing and reading
hundreds of emails on the contest forum about the subject.

I often run assisted in the various contests.  Why?  Because it's fun!
Granted, I could turn off the telnet and use the software at its 75%
capabilities,  but I enjoy using all the elements.  I see it as seeing the
contest in its entirety instead of having a partition placed over part of
the activities so that I can't see them. Often I can't work many of the
stations that are listed,  but nonetheless,  it still gives me a full
picture of what is going on. Do I still dig down and S&P looking for that
rare mult hidden between two bemouths calling CQ Test?  Absolutely,  and
often I will find one.  So the idea that it eliminates S&P is untrue.

Some operators feel that assisted gives the operators an unfair advantage.
For those who use it only to find new multipliers,  it may be.  But if the
operator is so unproficient that the only way he (or she) can find mults is
to find them on the telnet,  then they are not much of a threat for top spot
anyway.  Others complain that it creates a immediate pileup on some dx
stations.  Personally,  that's great!  I enjoy breaking pileups and pitting
my skills against the W3LPL, KC1XX, NY4A, K3LR, and the list goes on.  Often
I lose those pileup encounters,  but often I beat out some of the big guns
and for me that's a high! And it's much less expensive than buying drugs for
a high (I've heard).

Advantages of Assisted in my opinion

1.  Immediate knowledge of new mults on band
2.  Knowledge of most mults in parts of the world not open for me at current
time
3.  The opportunity to get into a pileup fray.
4.  The fun of using all the bells and whistles of the software
5.  Gives a better idea of exactly how good or bad the propagation is
6.  A more complete view of the entire contest.

Disadvantages of Assisted:

1.  The berating we receive from some of the elitist operators for choosing
assisted
2.  Not having a category that gives us an opportunity to compete with like
operators
3.  Tendency to give up runs too quickly to go chase a multiplier (Often new
mults will appear during runs that you would have never worked if you just
S&P.  But if you chase the mults posted,  you just lost your run frequency.

There may be some other advantages and disadvantages,  but that's a start.
Notice that nowhere in either lists is the mention of "because I can win the
contest this way".  You can't win the contest with assisted only.

You gotta be able to dig for the weak mults that no one else has found.
You gotta be able to go through the entire band checking for stations you
haven't worked (many which are not posted on telnet).
You gotta have a good enough signal to be able to run for rate.
You gotta remember calls so when they are esp weak,  you have an idea who
they are.
You gotta know propagation and know the long paths.
You gotta know CW well enough that it is a second language to you.

These are some of the skills that will get you the firewood,  not the telnet
spots.

CQ magazine contests do recognize the assisted category,  so the bull I am
attempting to gore is the ARRL.  After all,  it's SO HARD  to create new
categories by having to reprogram a program to separate the Assisted from
the Multi-Singles.  So if that is not the reason, is it that the elitist are
running the contest committee?

So all I ask is that I be able to be recognized with other stations with
similar capabilities.   I just want to be able to know who is competing with
me for the fun of it!  And sometimes you can send me some firewood or
another piece of paper to make me feel good.  And at the same time,  I will
have had a lot of fun!

73
Red K0LUZ