[CQ-Contest] Top-ops adapting to new technology

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Top-ops adapting to new technology
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:42:44 -0800
KI9A writes:

> Tree,  I agree with you on this, to an extent.  What make "top"  ops is the
> fact that they are, well, "top" of the heap. Putting them in a  position of
> learning new technology should not be a problem. I mean this, assume  the new
> thing to stay competitive is a new, undiscovered antenna. I promise you,  the
> top operators will adapt, without problem, to meet the challenge. Learning
> packet, not so much of a problem.

I totally agree the top ops could adapt to using packet if they were forced
to.

The point I think is being missed is that the top ops do not want to use
packet.  They do not want someone helping them find multipliers.   They enjoy
doing it for themselves.  In fact, they think that the creation of packet
pile-ups is one of the worst things to happen to radio contesting since the
invention of the speech processor.

Tree