Re: [CQ-Contest] ] Incorrect conclusions about un-assistedversusassisted

To: "Albert Crespo" <f5vhj@wanadoo.fr>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ] Incorrect conclusions about un-assistedversusassisted
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:25:32 -0800
Unfortunately the SOAB vs. SOAB(A) issue, while of interest,  only addresses
the world of playing fair.  While I greatly  prefer the SOAB category over
Assisted, I've grown to appreciate the activity that packet encourages.
Activity is GOOD.  Now if the packeteers could just make sure of the call of
the station they're working.

For me, the real issue is the guys who don't play fair.  They claim SOAB,
but either (1) have other helpers in the shack, or (2) use packet and claim
SOAB.

I believe the above to be rampant, loosely monitored, policed, and judged,
and not nearly as "subtle" as the perpetrators would have us think.  I've
learned that in some parts of the world, the general feeling is that
"everyone cheats, so why not me??".  Huh?

As my good friend Al 4L5A / D4B opined to me the other day:  "These are the
years of the cheaters".  Al is now offering to sponsor and sell trophies to
anyone so in need, so that they don't have to break the rules.

As we used to say on the farm:  "if the shoe fits, wear it"

Vy 73

Jim Neiger   N6TJ