[CQ-Contest] Secure online QSLs?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Secure online QSLs?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:10:30 -0800
We're getting a bit off topic for a contest reflector, but on the
other hand, a lot of contesters do operate in order to get QSLs, so
maybe it's not too far off.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a secure way to send QSLs by email,
so that anyone who wanted one could print it out and those who only
want to look at it could have a .jpg image of it? Ideally, this could
be linked to LoTW, so that only a confirmed QSL could be printed. You
could scroll through your LoTW log and print any confirmed QSLs you
wanted. If anyone wanted to verify that a particular QSL was real, all
they'd have to do is look it up in LoTW. To the best of my knowledge,
LoTW is very secure - if a QSO is in there, it really happened and the
printed QSL would only be a paper record of the LoTW archive.

Each station could have a blank QSL image on file with LoTW and when
someone requests a printout, the data would be automatically filled in
and a .jpg image sent to the requesting station. That way we could
personalize our QSLs easily and cheaply.

Not everyone has a computer of course, but this function could be done
by their local club or even a third party at a modest cost.

Maybe I'm behind the curve and this is already possible, but I haven't
heard it discussed. Please enlighten me if that's the case.

73, Bill W6WRT