Re: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers

To: "Julio VE3FH" <ve3fh@rac.ca>, <CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:13:27 -0500
At 12/31/2006 02:58 PM, Julio VE3FH wrote:

>Why? because it makes it easier to copy what's next that's why, at least
>that's the way it works for me. Think of it as the preamble and/or frame
>delimiter of an Ethernet frame, why is it there? to sync the receiver to the
>upcoming data. In contests with no RST in the exchange I am asked for and I
>ask for far more repeats. This last Stew Perry was a clear example, I was
>lost without it and I am grateful to those that were sending a 5NN. I would
>like to see it included as part of the exchange for future tests but as a
>5NN, not a real RST or an ENN.

The problem with the Stew Perry contest is that we are so accustomed to hearing
the RST that we expect it.  Many send 599 as 5NN.  Some cut it even closer with
ENN.  So, now you are expecting to hear "ENN report" or "ENN report" and you
are in the Stew Perry.  You answer a CQ from someone in the midwest and he
sends, "K1EP EN99".  So, you are first expecting ENN, but wait, the grid is EN.
 Takes you a second to realize what is happening.  Then there was someone who
was in a grid ending in 99, probably EN99, who sent ENNN for his grid.  Just
send the grid, PLEASE, no cut numbers...