Re: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 01 Jan 2007 01:23:49 -0600
On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 17:13, Ed K1EP wrote:
> The problem with the Stew Perry contest is that we are so accustomed to
> hearing the RST that we expect it.  Many send 599 as 5NN.  Some cut it even
> closer with ENN.  So, now you are expecting to hear "ENN report" or "ENN
> report" and you are in the Stew Perry.  You answer a CQ from someone in the
> midwest and he sends, "K1EP EN99".  So, you are first expecting ENN, but
> wait, the grid is EN.  Takes you a second to realize what is happening.  Then
> there was someone who was in a grid ending in 99, probably EN99, who sent
> ENNN for his grid.  Just send the grid, PLEASE, no cut numbers...

I got briefly confused when, at 1am, a station sent me "TU BK".  Then,
before I could hit ^K and send "GRID?", he sent "29".

Turns out that was his grid - BK29.  My brain just wasn't prepared to
accept the idea that any KH6 who'd call me on 160 meters would actually
be in Hawaii!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66