[CQ-Contest] A Bold Move

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] A Bold Move
From: Eric Hilding K6VVA <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 15:27:11 -0800
Happy New Year, fellow Contesters!

I anticipate 2007 will continue to be filled with more friendly & lively
discussions about both perceived and real "inequalities" associated with
the great Art & Sport of Ham Radio Contesting.

The following will undoubtedly seem a bit far-fetched or radical to some,
however I propose A BOLD MOVE, indeed perhaps A GREAT EXPERIMENT, to begin
with several Domestic Contests (W/VE), which IMHO holds great promise of
bringing more Contesting Happiness and Joy to many of  the currently
disgruntled in our small Community of participants.

Many posts on this Reflector (and in other venues) have pointed the finger
at Technology as being the culprit responsible for the unresolved Assisted
vs. Non-Assisted issue.  As is true with many things in life, the seeds of
a solution are to be found in the problem itself.  I ascribe to the old
adage that "Every Problem Is An Opportunity", and yet realize that human
nature opposes "change". But we need to face the reality that the need for
certain "change" has been long overdue.

What I am about to propose is by no means "The Gospel" (there's only one of
those), but rather talking points and suggestions for further discussion
and action.  I will also put my money where my mouth is, and contribute
$100 toward this project if at least 29 other Domestic Contesters will do
the same.

There can never be a totally virtuous "level playing field" as many wish
akiin to certain other sports, because of the dastardly issue of player
Steroid use ;(  At the same time, I do not believe it to be completely
"fair" to penalize those who have sacrificed time and money to build
Contest "SuperStations".  Indeed, these players deserve to enjoy the
benefits of their labors, until such time as all Contesting migrates to a
totally Internet based, real-time venue.  Those who run in excess of the
"''Legal Limit" and/or claim "Low Power" while actually running High Power,
on the other hand, deserve to be banned from the game.

OK...so here's the deal.

Without doing exhaustive research at this point, I think it's reasonably
sound to suggest that most *serious* participants in the Sprint contests
are also heavy players in the NAQP and ARRL SS.   In fact, I'd almost be
willing to bet that 80% of Spinters are NAQPers and ARRL SSers, and all
posses Internet connectivity   Accordingly, I am proposing the two latter
two events as a starting point.  Eventually, other major Contest Sponsors
(both Domestic and Foreign) can join the party, as well as State QSO
Parties, etc.

Initially, there would be no major changes to the current award and
category structures for the NAQP or ARRL SS.  Rather, there would be only
the addition of a "Techno" Category (or whatever term deemed approrpiate),
but with a Maximum number of Certificates to be issued to the Top 5 score
operators/stations to start with, in 6 categories:

1. Single Operator (Assisted or Non-Assisted)
2. Mutli-Single (Assisted or Non-Assisted)
3. Multi-Mutli (Assisted or Non-Assisted)

A total of 30 additional Certificates would not pose any heavy burden or
hardship upon the Sponsors.  OK...give the #1 scorer in each of the above 3
listed Assisted and Non-Assisted categories a plaque or trophy as well.  No
problem.  I'll sponsor at least one plaque or trophy first time around if
necessary.

The "Techno" Category will result in great strides to resolve 3 of the
primary issues on the table:

1. QTH/Antenna disparities
2. ERP disparities & current cheating
3. Packet disparities & current cheating

Let's face it...for the main heavy-duty players in the NAQP and ARRL SS, it
will be "business as usual" and doubtful any will switch to the new
experimental category.  But for many others down the food chain who will
continue to p*ss and moan until SOMETHING changes, it is an opportunity to
"put up or shut up".  The latter won't get a totally free ride.  In
exchange for not having to spend $50,000 or much more to "upgrade" your
station to compete with the Big Guns under the current reality of Contest
Rules, if ya wanna shot at getting in *some* "Top 10" status ranking, it's
gonna cost you a few bucks, 'cuz there ain't no such thing as a "Free
Lunch". It will also take some contributions from the rest of us to get set
up and certainly some donations of programming time by several of our
Contesting brethren who are so endowed.  But if this helps keep more
players in the game for longer hours in the chair, then we can all
potentially benefit with increased QSOs and Mults.  We all share in the
responsibility to help bring about needed "change".

Technology to the rescue.  If you are not familiar with N6BV's HFTA
program, you're missing out on a great tool, and it comes free on a CD with
the ARRL Antenna Book (20th Editiion).

This proposal would require Dean to be willing to allow of integration a
special version of HFTA and a similar arrangement for MicroDEM (or
equivalent) in conjunction with a Cooperative Agreement with the USGS into
a Master Database structure to be administered by the Contest Sponsor for
complete Automation.  Things *could* be done semi-Automatically, since many
of the intial one-time setups for Antenna/QTH data may not change for those
stuck in CC&R QTH's until they retire.  This would be more labor intensive,
but nothing that $$$ can't solve.

Techno category participants (the serious participants who consistently
operate the NAQP and ARRL SS), would make a one-time entry of their
Lat/Long coordinates,  site elevation, and all antenna data for each band
(including wire antennas and estimated dB gain).  However, instead of
terrain radials every 5 degrees, only 8 terrain directions would be
utilized.  OK, maybe 16.

Based upon  the entrant/participant's QTH, antenna gain in dB per band
could be automatically approximated by band in 4 or 8 primary directions to
cover the US, Canada, KH6, KL7 and  KP2/KP4.   Yes, I know some follks have
multiple antennas per band and stacks, so perhaps some kind of unique
"averaging" factor could come into play.   This would not be a 100% perfect
system, but certainly one helluva a lot better than nothing to help satisfy
the needs of the p*ssers and moaners (I confess to having been one).

The ideal would be to also have the master software system also account for
event participant Geo-Locations (based upon the last 3 event sponsor
statistics by either State or ARRL Section), and calculate some band
adjustment factors accordingly.  In other words, we all know that the East
Coast has a tremendous advantage on 160m and 80m especially during domestic
contests.  Adjustment factors would also apply for what we all know are the
"Black Hole" areas and some Canadian areas. And then there are some basic
band-by-band Propagation adjustments most likely needed.  Tnx to the Techno
wonders of software, various "refinements" to the system could be made on
an ongoing basis as deemed appropriate by a Contest Consultation Panel of
event SuperStars.

Where the rubber meets the road is that I believe it fair and reasonable
for all serious repeat players in the Techno category who stand to benefit
greatly from a "more levelized playing field", to be willing to pop a
one-time setup fee of $25 (or whatever), and some minimal amount like $5 if
antenna changes are made after initial setup.  Even at $50 or $100, it's
certainly much less than $50,000 (or more) and a lot of hard work which the
Big Gun SuperStation ops have invested to get one some term an "unfair
advantage".  Amortize the basic one-time "pay to play" amount over the
number of years you expect to participate in these events, and that might help.

As such a QTH/Antenna equalizer system may eventually be used in other
Contests, initial participants should not be re-charged, since all their
data is already in the Master Data Base.

Technology also offers another solution which can also resolve the issue of
ERP Cheating.

In order to play in this new Techno game, participants will agree to the
installation of an RF Monitoring device which has an interface to the
computer and will upload readings to the Sponsor's Master Database at least
once every 5 minutes (irresective of whether a participant uses "Packet" or
not). Yeah, I know, someone could still cheat and put it in the food chain
right after the TXRX instead of after the amp.  A solution for this would
be for the Contest Sponsor to have Certified Field Reps who will do a
one-time initial installation of the device at the participant's QTH (for a
nominal additional fee), that has some type of tamper-proof device...which
if screwed with, will render it unusable, and the Master Database nuke that
participant from eligibility in the scoring process.  Hmmm...I actually
like the latter idea :-)

Let's face it, the current HP, LP, QRP scheme of things totally sucks.  A
QRP station using stacked yagis has substantially more benefit than a Low
Power station using a dipole.

So,  looking at the overall dB gain scheme of things, such an approach (in
conjunction with antenna dB gain factors), will enable a "more levelized
playing field" and NO separate ERP categories.  You get the picture.  Those
who wish to reduce their electricity bills and run QRP instead of HP will
get an adjustment factor (although doubtful they will be able to Run a lot
vs S&P during the game :-)

Technology also miraculous provides a solution to resolve much of the
Assisted vs. Non-Assisted problem.

Just as with the ERP monitor, a special Packet Monitor device that perhaps
integrates with the logging software via DDE and uploads a status to the
Sponsor's Master Database every 5 minutes or so would solve part of the
problem.  The software authors would need to make a minor tweak to enable
this to be functional.  Yeah,  I know, some could still cheat and use a
"Rube Goldberg" packet connection on a separate computer, but the following
can address this situation.

The Contest Sponsor would also to obtain ALL packet cluster spots made
during the event, feed these into the Master Database, and have the master
software system compare station spots by band and the participant's
QSOs.  More discussion would be necessary, but perhaps if  the
participant's log showed 10 or more QSOs being made within 10 minutes of a
packet spot for stations worked on that band, it *could* be assumed that
the participant was using Packet and dealt with accordingly.

The reality that stations being spotted (the Spot-EE's) do, in fact,
realize benefits to their Run rates, DEFINITELY necessitate a few
adjustment factors as well.  Perhaps based upon number of spots received
levels in increments of 20 is a starting point.  Remember, there "ain't no
such thing as a Free Lunch" (or being the recipient of a packet spot),
except under currently DYSFUNCTIONAL Sponsor Rules ;-(

In a perfect world, everyone would either use packet or not use
packet.  I'd almost be willing to be that 99% of all *serious* Domestic
Contest participants have Internet access in this day and age.  But trying
force someone to use packet is a waste of time, if they want to Contest
"the good old way".

So what about the "Casual" Contesters in all of this?   It doesn't matter,
because many of  them never submit a log anyway.

In sporting events like Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc.,  I think we
could all agree that the cost of player uniforms are pretty much  the same,
and doubtful would vary by more than 10%.  However, if Contesting of The
Future on a "more levelized playing field" would become the norm  for all
participants in accordance with the suggested experimental category, IMHO
this might possibly require some type of Antenna/Tower adjustment factor
based upon $$$ investment so those who have "paid the price" don't get
penalized unfairly.

But then again, all is not fair in Love or War, right?

BOLDNESS has Genius, Magic & Power to it.  A BOLD MOVE in the direction of
employing Technology to solve some of the current Contest
rules-related-problems created by Technology can also solve a few of the
historic Non-Technology problems (like Cheating) in the process.  I'm just
sharing a few thoughts of what ***IS*** possible NOW.  But to allow things
to continue in their DYSFUNCTIONAL state would be irresponsible.

Comments & Flames are both welcomed, 'cuz I'm all suited up for the New Year!

73, HNY & "Good Luck In The Contest, Oms!" ...

Rick, K6VVA