Re: [CQ-Contest] I don't get it...so please help me out: 160m DX

To: <kr2q@optonline.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] I don't get it...so please help me out: 160m DX
From: "Brian Campbell" <VY2MGY@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 07:44:26 -0500
From: <kr2q@optonline.net>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 6:06 PM

HI all:I am really frustrated.As many of you may recall, I do a lot of qrp
work and have been doing so for several decades. I'm a decent op, but I
can't seem to work any (not much) DX on 160 with qrp.I know that my antennas
are not "great" but I did work DXCC (qro) in about a year including some
pretty nice stuff (3Y0, VK6, JA, 8Q, etc)...not bad for NJ. But when I go
qrp, I don't think that I've ever worked more than 3 DX qso's (including
zone 8 stuff) per contest. When I look at the other qrp scores, and
specifically how many DX stations they work, well, it seems like I just must
be doing something wrong. I just don't understand it, especially some of the
numbers from places "further away" than I am!As I said, I've worked my share
qro on 160, but essentially nada qrp. Of course, with qrp on the other
bands, I have no issue at all (I usually feel "loud").So....what am I doing
wrong? Please reply off-line.Thanks,de Doug KR2Q

Hi Doug

I am posting this to both the Contest and Topband reflector as it may be
interesting for all, especially on the the Topband reflector.

I have been QRP in the CQ160CW and CQ160SSB contests from 1999 - 2005

Here is the DX that I have worked since 1999:

CQ160CW
1999 - 0 , 2000 - 0 , 2001 - VP5 , 2002 - 0 , 2003 - FM PJ2 ZF , 2004 - C6
D4 FM KP2 VP5 , 2005 - CT3 KH6 KP2 PJ2 VP2E VP5

CQ160 SSB
1999 - 0 , 2000 - 0 , 2001 - 0 , 2002 - KP4 VP2M XE , 2003 - 0 , 2004 - C6
VP5 , 2005 - C6 D4 KP2 KP4 VP5 VP9 XE

Sometimes I got them on the first try but 99 times out of 100  it took many,
many tries over a 26 hour contest weekend. Notwithstanding contest
participation, local condx on both ends, solar cyle etc. etc. the one thing
in my favor [ other than being very determined/stubborn ] was every year I
was able to add more radials, better feedlines, and get more of the Inverted
L vertical - I started with 25'-30' vertical and now its just over 80'. So I
think your doing very well, or as equally poor as me , as the case may be.

In 2006 I missed the CQ160CW but in the CQ160SSB I tried Low Power [ 100
watts ]  for the first time and had so much fun and saw such a huge
difference that I may never go back to QRP. While it may be true that "Life
is too short for QRP", it is also equally true that "QRP is not for the
faint of heart" - especially on 160. By the way it took me 8 years and 8
months to work 100 countries with 100 watts - not exactly a record by
anyones ruler!

I hope this helps.

73 es gl
Brian