Re: [CQ-Contest] Changing categories

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Changing categories
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:29:21 -0600
>> There are some legitimate reasons why
>> an entrant might change their category.
>> Mark, N5OT
>
> Suppose I plan an SOAB entry but suddenly one of my antennas becomes
> faulty
> or there is some other unexpected reason that limits my performance hence
> my
> score.
> Why would it be so bad to send in my log as SB then? In the case of
> pre-registering, you'd be stuck.

This is a good example of a legitimate reason to change categories.

Just last week at this time, me and my teammates were all looking at each
other wondering if we might need to scale back to Multi-Single because our
host DX station was nowhere near ready to support a Multi-Two.  That would
have been a legitimate category change.

Last year, a station that was attempting to operate Multi-Two discovered
that for whatever reason their log was a mess, and they couldn't sort out
the two transmitters, nor show in all honesty that they followed the
Multi-Two rules.  They said they were M2 going in, but ultimately reported
as Multi-Multi.  This is another legitimate reason to shift categories.

> I suppose the original thread was about a difference in 3830 category
> versus
> actual submission?

This has been obvious in a few cases.

> Of course waiting for a 3830 summary to select the submission category is
> unsportsmanlike.

That's the word I was looking for.  Thanks Franki.

> I'd like the submission period to be much closer, say 24
> hours or less like WRTC.

This is a great idea.

> Oh well, there are a whole bunch of more serious forms of "cheating".
> Packet and power, to name two of my pet peeves.

Yes, but this is the most certain way you can achieve first place, which is
why some people are doing it.  Unsportsmanlike.

Mark, N5OT