[CQ-Contest] Time in the Chair - Let's Not Change What's NotBroken...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Time in the Chair - Let's Not Change What's NotBroken...
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:11:14 EST
Reading the mail......

Personally, CQWW and ARRL DX at 48 hours maximum  single-operator time in the
chair limit are the last remaining  acid-tests of DX contest operating skill
and stamina that we have  today.

I always aim for a full 48 hours (if needed) but USUALLY take 2-3 hours off
for a bit of rest if the conditions and rates I am having allow it.  Most  of
the top-10 ops usually wind up with between 42-46 hours in the chair - and
some (under a solar maxima) still go the full 48 even today.

Operating is FUN and going the distance makes it like a marathon  race.
Those who can put it all together for the full contest period are  the ones
that
will get rewarded in the end - and I hope things remain this way  going forward.

We have plenty of contests with shorter Single-Op maximum time limits - WAE
and WPX come to mind.  CQ160M is another that limits single-ops to less  than
the full contest period.

ARRL and CQWW are the 'grand-daddy's" of them all and the original formula
still works.

Every now and then when I am feeling my age (61) - I'll do a single band so
as to get some real rest - but I still enjoy an all-out 48 hour operating
marathon just to see if I can still hang with the younger crowd.

I think N6TJ is nearing 70 now and ZD8Z can still hack 40+ hours in the
chair if I recall his recent efforts.

CONTESTING IS - it's fun and a challenge to go the limit or at least to try
to in order to make a top score.

FWIW

73 JEFF

_K1ZM@aol.com_ (mailto:K1ZM@aol.com)
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
web, free AOL Mail and much more.