Re: [CQ-Contest] Time Limit Categories - Let's Just Do It!

To: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time Limit Categories - Let's Just Do It!
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:16:11 -0800
Exactly - it's hard to get a sponsor to do anything new (and for good
reason). That's why I made the oblique reference to someone other than the
sponsor doing it. The sponsor provides just a contest definition and
adjudicated score reports. Anyone else can crunch the numbers and come up
with new evaluation criteria. If someone does it well enough to generate
interest, the sponsor may eventually incorporate new categories but it isn't
necessary.

But lest I be perceived as advocating changes to existing rules and
categories - good heavens, no! I have always said that full-time SOAB is the
sine qua non of contesting and I stick to my guns on that even though I've
only occasionally tried it. Let the athletes among us run 48 hour DX
contests, 26 mile marathons, iron-man triathlons and double centuries. Make
contesting it a true citizen's race by publishing 24 or 12 or 36 hour
standings. At least for starters, this can be done by an upstart,
independent of the sponsor.

/Rick