Re: [CQ-Contest] WHAT IF

To: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>,"CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WHAT IF
From: "Georgens, Tom" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:49:07 -0800
Jim -

If the 12 and 24 hour meta-categories stimulate interest and activity
then they should be strongly considered, assuming the adjudication and
presentation issues can be addressed.

One of the goals of the plan is to create no incentive for participants
to reduce their amount of operating time.  I would encourage an
additional consideration.  None of these categories should reduce the
amount of time people spend on the low bands.

The 24 hour contiguous time addresses this situation well, assuming the
operator would not have otherwise operated more than 24 hours.  As the
sunspots rise, the non-contiguous 24 hours and the 12 hour categories
may serve to de-emphasize the low bands.  In the 24 hour and,
especially, the 12 hours cases, the ration of Q's to mults will be lower
than the 48 hour case and the incentive to spend significant time on the
low bands to get mults will be reduced.  Perhaps, it could be
counter-argued that the casual operator might barely go to the low bands
at all were it not for the opportunity to compete in the 12 hour
competition.  In either case, I would like us to keep in mind low band
activity as the spots rise in any of these ideas.

24 hour contiguous, sure.  The others, lets be careful.

FWIW - Years ago, a famous US contester, with the skill to back it up,
once told me that, should the 24 hour category emerge, he would attempt
to finish first and second in one 48 hour period.

73, Tom W2SC