Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting
From: "ku8e" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:10:54 -0500
Steve,

The section 3.14 you quoted is in the General Rules for ARRL Contests.

Section 1.1.General Rules for ARRL Contests. states the following:
"1.1.Rules for individual contests or events, including Field Day, take
precedence over all General Rules."

If you look at the ARRL DX Contest rules there is no mention about rules on
spotting. It refers to the General Rules for All ARRL Contests" and "General
Rules for ARRL Contests on bands below 30 MHz (HF)" . So the rule 3.14 would
apply (at least you think it would).

If you then look at the General Rules for HF Contests below 30 Mhz
http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-hf.html it states the
following for the Single-Op Unassisted Category :
"2.1.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc) is NOT
permitted."

That seems pretty clear. You can't use packet in any way or ask someone to
spot you.

But if you look at the rule for Single-Op Assisted (which probably applies
for the multi-op categories) it says:

"2.2.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc) not physically located at
the station IS permitted."

My question is what does "operating arrangements involving other
individuals" mean. Can that be interepted as it is OK to ask someone to spot
you ???

Also, which General Rules apply for the ARRL DX Contest - The "General Rules
for ARRL Contests" or the "General Rules for HF Contests below 30 Mhz "

I agree with everyone that self-spotting should not be allowed but the way
the ARRL rules are written it doesn't seem to be clear on the subject.

Jeff  KU8E