[WriteLog] Quality of Sound Cards?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Quality of Sound Cards?
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:01:18 -0500 (EST)
When I upgraded the shack computer from a P3 to a P4 (a 1.6 GHz IBM NetVista),
I didn't swap the (Soundblaster 16 PCI) sound card.  Instead I am using the one
built-in to the new computer.

My station is a HEil Proset feeding an Orion. I use Writelog.

I made a "recording on the fly" through the during the contest last weekend,
and the results were sub-par, certainly when compared to the recording I made
directly into the radio.

My questions:

- Is this a software configuration (i.e., how Writelog records) issue?

- Will the old sound card back sound better than the built-in one (i.e., are
there greater and lesser than equal sound cards)?  If so, is the Audio Delta 44
Audio Card ($159) that the SDR-1000 uses worth the investment?

73 & Thanks,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC