[CQ-Contest] Assistance/Rules/Spotting and SO2R

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Assistance/Rules/Spotting and SO2R
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:49:20 -0500
I have no doubt that use of packet/spotting, etc. would
add significantly to my score.  Score increase % would
depend (among other things)

1) Number of bands open simultaneously,
2) Availability of propagation to mult-rich areas,
(10 minute Greyline vs 2+ hour openings),
3) How productive the run bands are,
4) Contest activity level,
5) Contest specifics, WPX vs CQWW vs IARU, etc.

I won't get into how the variation in these factors would
impact the value of use of spotting "assistance", but suffice it
to say that the greater the availability of working mults "at the margin",
then the greater the potential score increase.

Not to mention that running is much less fatiguing than
constantly tuning and running, or tuning on both radios
simultaneously.  Less effort spent tuning or "digging in
the noise" = energy saved + more productive run time +
higher rates and more q's made + all the extra mults.

No comparison!

Like in all things, the more options/advantages you give to the highly
skilled,
the more they will make use of them and INCREASE THE GAP
between themselves and the less skilled and/or less motivated.

So if the idea is to level the playing field by allowing all
to use packet in one general category, then I submit to you that
the OPPOSITE will result, with an even larger score gap
than ever!

Besides, for those who want to cheat,
they will cheat anyway in a different way.

I personally enjoy finding my own mults much more than having
them found for me.  If anything, use of packet, etc. to find mults
would make my second radio tuning LESS productive and more boring.
Either way, I personally would not have the same level of challenge
and satisfaction operating with packet than without it.

Vive la difference!

I feel that what is MORE important for the benefit of the sport,  is
to accurately define what assistance is and is not.

Is it assistance to have others fix your antennas while
you operate as SOAB?  To transmit audio on the internet
while you operate?  To have others "hold a frequency" for you
while you chase a mult or go to a different band to run for a while and
then come back and use the "held" freq. while the holder qsy's?
To use the real-time scoreboards to find out how others are doing
while you operate?

These things should be CLEARLY spelled out in the rules as to which
category they belong in or if they are even allowed, or not.
Having to guess at what category you MIGHT be in is silly and shouldn't
be necessary.  Contest sponsors should REGULARLY update
their rules as new technologies/questions/controversies arise.

Now a different question....  Is it ok to operate in one category
and then change your category AFTER THE CONTEST?
And if that is ok, under what circumstances, if any, is that
acceptable?

Finally, do the rules of a particular contest allow you to get
away with anything that is NOT SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED
by the rules?  Or does the contest sponsor adhere to that important
but somewhat vague and arbitrary "Spirit of the rules"?

If you want to level the playing field the fairest way, then strive to
provide:

1) CLEAR AND UNAMBIGUOUS RULES,
2) UPDATE THEM REGULARLY to reflect emerging technologies
and/or concerns of the participants, and
3) ENFORCE THEM OBJECTIVELY NOT SELECTIVELY!

Keep the categories separate.

73
Bob KQ2M

kq2m@earthlink.net