Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: <rmthorne@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 8:30:23 -0600
I'm a remote contester out of necessity.

As far as I'm concerned I am following the current rule both in black and white
and in the spirit of the rule.

My transmitters and receivers and antennas are all within a 500m(more like 30m
in my case) diameter circle.  The only thing I have done is extend the
microphone cable or cw keyboard via the internet.

Now, if I had two remotes in two totally different locations (and used them
both during a contest),ie an east coast and west coast station, that would
clearly be a violation of the rules.

Some one made an arugment last year that setting up a remote on  a mountain top
was unfair to others.  My response was it was no different than one of the
super stations who have the resources to build what they have.  You do what you
can do with what you have.

That being said, remoters probably have a bit of dissadvantage in the first
place.  We have latencey issues over the internet, we lose the internet in the
middel of a run to Europe.  We lose control of a piece of equipment and have to
drive to the remote to reset it etc, etc.  If I operated the exact same station
in person, my score would be better as compared to operating the same station
via remote.

Rich - N5ZC