Re: [CQ-Contest] A Call to Action

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Call to Action
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:04:28 -0700
> We should be recruiting these people.
>
> We want them to operate contests and we want them to submit logs.
> This means we need publicity.  We need to tell these people that
> contesting is fun and that it is easy.  We need to make sure they
> can find and understand the rules.  We need to provide friends and
> Elmers.  And we need to provide incentives to submit the logs.
>
> snip
>
> Can the major contest clubs help?
>
>                              Paul, K1XM

Exactly.  Here's my proposal - first, support www.contesting.com.  If I were
a new HF operator and was looking for information on contesting, where would
I go?  Let's see, boatanchors.com?  No.  Um, endlessyakking.com?  No.  Why -
I might go to contesting.com!!!  Here's a Web site, all set up for *just
this very function* for us to use.  OK - so I'm not being very funny.  You
get the point.  No new Web site or club is required.

I'll bet all of our contest clubs have some material on our Web sites about
how to operate in a contest.  Maybe tips about Sweepstakes or how to tune or
that sort of thing.  There is NO point in hiding them amongst the thousands
of ham radio Web sites.  Have your newsletter editor or Webmeister dig them
out and submit them as articles to the contesting.com Articles manager. (I
*think* it's N2MG, but check on the contesting.com site.)  Get busy!  Time's
a-wasting!

Browse the articles on contesting.com - what articles are NOT present?
Write one!  It doesn't have to be long or detailed.  Just explain one simple
thing - like "how to figure off time" or "what is the 10-minute rule" or
"how to find a clear frequency" or "how to prevent receiver overload".  You
could put together a collection of Web URLs that you find useful - kind of
like the amazon.com lists.  "Here is my list of useful propagation Web
sites: url url url url."  Bite-sized friendly advice from experienced
contesters.  Perfect.

Hey - how about an article on submitting a log for a few contacts?  I got
just such a query the other day.  Here's my reply:

"The easiest thing to do is just get some simple contest logging software (I
recommend N3FJP's inexpensive, simple, easy-to-use software at
www.n3fjp.com).  You can use it in real time or paper log and transcribe it
later.  The software will prepare the proper file format and everything -
you just email it to the sponsors.  Piece of cake. Another option is to
paper log and use the Cabrillo-entry Web forms at http://b4h.net/cabforms/.
WA7BNM has made a Web page into which you enter your log data and - presto -
it emails a Cabrillo-formatted file to the sponsor for you!  Not bad, huh?
Still - I strongly recommend you get your own software because it makes
contest operating a LOT less work.  The logging software can generate files
regular logbook software can import, as well."

The questioner was perfectly happy - that's all he needed to know.  He
didn't need a ten-page discussion - just some guidance.

Now - should the ARRL do more?  They already run the largest contest
operation on the planet.  I'm satisfied.  CQ's contests are all-volunteer
and of top quality - let's not ladle more expectations on them.  Boys and
girls, it's up to YOU and ME to do it.  It doesn't take much time, but it
will take more than writing a check.  Paul, you already support YCCC which
has developed a huge reservoir of contesting-Elmer material.  Thank you!
Encourage the YCCC to put copies on the most likely Web site a new contester
will use for guidance.

If the contesting.com designers are listening - how about a big, red button
on the contesting.com home page - right at the top - that says something
like "NEW TO CONTESTING?  CLICK HERE!" and goes to a page of articles just
for the new contester.  We can all contribute to this.  contesting.com gets
more traffic, we get more contesters, everybody should be smiling.

All we have to do is...um...do it.

73, Ward N0AX