Re: [CQ-Contest] TS850

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TS850
From: "Georgens, Tom" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:29:17 -0700

Thanks you to all of you who responded to my E-Mail.  CQ-Contest is an
incredible resource.

Most people referenced the web site that detailed the TS-850 mods and
failure modes.  I had checked this out before I sent the note.  In fact
my 850's have two of the mods installed (rx ant and CW sidetone volume
control).  I was hoping that there would be a simple connector/cable
reseat or cleaning.

In the end I decided to pass on the repair since I did not have the
spare parts to fix it and I did not want to damage something else.
Operating in a remote location is often about risk assessment.  Since
the computer could tell me the frequency, the radio was still usable.
Although the monitor worked, I could not see the ALC and comp levels so
I did a number of precontest audio checks.  I did in fact use the radio
as is for part of the contest.  Unfortunately, the lack of an S-Meter
made it difficult to adjust my noise canceller for the line noise.  This
made the radio unusable as a run radio on the bands where the noise was
the highest.

Oddly, the display came back a few times during the contest, sometimes
for a few seconds but once for a few minutes.  In those few minutes, I
made some tweaks to the audio levels.

I brought the radio back and will repair it at my leisure.

The response to my request was significant and I thank each of you for
taking the time to help

73, Tom W2SC 8P1A