Re: [CQ-Contest] Natural born contesters

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Natural born contesters
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:13:04 -0400
Doesn't seem to fit with my experience.  I have done CQ WW CW single op
many times since 1985 with no sleep during the contest.  Since the
contest generally starts at 8 PM Caribbean time and I find it difficult
to sleep in the daytime, particulary before a contest, I generally go 60
plus hours without sleep.  Last did that in February of this year as
PJ4A in ARRL DX CW at age 64.

Outside of contests, I go to sleep between 11 and 11:40 PM and get up at
7 AM seven days a week.  I may sleep an hour or so later on Saturday or
Sunday.  I am certainly not an "owl."

I don't think that my operating ability suffers much in the latter part
of contests.  My accuracy rate seems almost constant.  I do have some
more difficulty sending high speed CW with a paddle when I have been
sleep deprived, but I think that is motor rather than brain function.

Maybe I would be much better at a 48-hour contest if I were an "owl,"
but I doubt it.

73,

John, K4BAI.