Re: [CQ-Contest] RST as a sync [was: cut #]

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RST as a sync [was: cut #]
From: John Geiger <n5ten@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
Who says they aren't honest reports?  The RST system
is purely subjective, there is no set standard for the
RS system.  Some people think that the S in the RST is
the S meter reading, but that isn't correct.  It is
just a subjective report of signal strength, relative
to nothing.  So a signal at my QTH which is just above
noise level can be 5NN, if I am comparing it to the
signal being received from Pioneer 10 which has left
the solar system.

73s John W5TD