Re: [CQ-Contest] tech challenge - SAY WHAT?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] tech challenge - SAY WHAT?
From: DL8MBS <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:54:13 +0200
Rick Tavan N6XI wrote:

> like online score tracking for two main reasons:
>
>   1. It makes contesting a sort of spectator sport, especially for the
>   part-timers. In the long run it will get more folks on the air for more
>   hours.

Hi Rick, as a regular parttimer I disagree. Watching the board or even
been logged in and competing with others for a while will only make me
more aware that I´m a parttimer and therefore with the given rules of
most contests not a competitor (the scores being mostly a function of
invested time). But scoreboards are something to stimulate competition,
not parttime "handing-out-a-few-qsos" (which is of course fine if
intended) The invested time can´t be incereased by using a scoreboard
but is mostly determined by our other activities and duties.
73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)