Re: [CQ-Contest] AA prefixes

To: Alan Knight <alanknight@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] AA prefixes
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:34:54 -0400
On May 23, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Alan Knight wrote:

> I've never had any big problems with my callsign.  It will
> occasionally be copied as A4 or K4, but that's due more to my lack
> of signal strength and/or poor conditions.  I find it is much
> harder for people to copy my suffix on the first try.

I have held this call for over 20 years, and it still astounds me
that so many folks have trouble with the prefix on SSB, and sometimes
even on CW. I'm frequently confused for a a PA4 or DA4

A while back I was typing in all my hand-written logs for LoTW.
(Every QSO I've made is up there, within about a month or so) I
noticed that for logs in the mid-80s, there was a lot of variety of
prefixes for US hams. Today, just about everyone has a vanity call
starting with W or K, with a few Ns and very, very few Ax prefixes.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901