Re: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

To: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:52:37 -0400
Hmmm, should I feel slighted that the Section news isn't in QST any
more?  I liked reading that part of QST.  Now we're expected to get this
info on the web.

Should I feel slighted that National Traffic system Net reports aren't
on the web?  I like participating in net, and reading the monthly 2 page
column about nets, emergency procedures, traffic handling, etc.  Now I'm
expected to get the same info from the web, even from individual section
web pages, not even a summary in one part of arrl.org.....

I like running QRP, QRP contests, figuring out how to make wire beams,
etc.  Should I complain that there are very few QRP articles in QST?

Most folks don't build their own gear, but there's at least one
construction type article, most times more than one.  Some are very
complex construction projects in QST.  If 99+% of hams use store bought
gear, why have any construction projects at all?  Should we all complain
about the level of these technical articles?  Shouldn't we demand that,
if they are to exist at all, they all be understood by the neophyte, the
knob twiddler?   After all, most of us, including most of the readers of
this reflector, use manufactured gear for the most part - and the <1% of
the hams who do otherwise could read QEX or IEEE proceedings, rather
than clutter up our membership monthly with this type of information.

Hmmmm, am I carrying things to extremes?

73 de n8xx Hg