Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL International DX CW Scores Posted

To: hank k8dd <k8dd@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL International DX CW Scores Posted
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:01:27 -0700
On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 02:00:58PM -0400, hank  k8dd wrote:
> On 7/5/07, Tim Goeppinger <timgep@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > The scores are up at the ARRL website
> >
> > http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/
>
> And fine results they are!
>
> I was looking through the Multi Single scores and found one
> that really looked strange
>
> #       Call      Score QSOs   Mult   Class
> 78     OH2K      32      0       318      MS
>
> That's 32 points Zero QSO's and 318 Multipliers.
> How do you do that?

I've ploughed through a LOT of line scores while working on the Contest
Score Database Project (http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/scoredb/).  A score
like that is almost certainly one that was not submitted by email,
is not competitive for a certificate, and was thus not typed in to
be cross-checked.  The score, QSO, and multiplier values were typed in
by hand, and the error is either a typo, a result of putting the wrong
value in the wrong field, or was in the summary sheet from the beginning
and the transcriber passed it on verbatim.  There is probably a 50/50
chance that any contest with over 1500 line scores is likely to have
at least one problem like this in the results.

Another problem that can happen with non-emailed log submissions is
invalid section codes (i.e. a section of "CA" rather than "SCV").  Those
scores will show up in the ARRL Contest Results database if you search
with broad-enough search terms, but likely do not show up in the
Printable Line Scores or the PDF version of the article with the line
scores in it.

Having ploughed through line scores from thirty years ago through the
present, I can attest that the quality of the results in 2007 is
substantially improved over, say, 1977.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com