[CQ-Contest] Why Is It.......

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why Is It.......
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:05:27 +0000
........  that over a whole weekend of a contest, we lil whipperschnappers
can't seem to achieve a rate over 40 Qs/hour; yet, during an ordinary
weeknight (during a sunspot min yet), calling CQ on 80 or 40 will yield
unlimited pileups of Europeans??????????????

Tonight, for example, I listened to N3IQ at around 03Z (or thereabouts) run
eastern and western Euros, many of whom he couldn't even hear, for over a
half hour. Later, after I'd gotten some chores done and had some free time,
I also CQed on 40 and ran up 42 Euros within 31 minutes, most of whom were
barely above the noise but still, there were 2 or 3 calling nearly every
time I QRZed until I got tired of digging into the noise foe each Q.

I've got log pages full of the same thing around the time of Desert Storm,
when I was watching graying Teddy on the boob tube with one eye while CQing
and logging with the other on 80m (and occasionally trying to help drive
off that insane wide-bandwidth, high-speed Rattier on 7015 or so each night).

I actually fell into a trance several times this weekend during the YV
contest while letting N1MM do its automagic CQing stunt on either 20 or 40.
Meanwhile, K4LTA, K4BAI, N4DA and N4PN were running them like mad on each
side of me. I heard almost nothing of what they were working most of the
time, especially on 20   ;o((((((((((((

Steve, K0XP