Re: [RTTY] dupes

To: <rtty@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] dupes
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:21:41 -0500
> Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:45:04 -0700
> From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] dupes
> To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
>
> Hi Mike
>
> Yes, there is a feature in N1MM Logger, 'work dupes', that just lets
> you go
> ahead and work the dupes.  It just doesn't make any sense to hold up
> everything to try and look up when the Q was supposed to happen, or
> what the
> exchange was.  You can work another station or 2 while you are trying
> figure out why it is a dupe.
>
> There is no penalty for working a dupe as long as it is marked in the
> log.
>
> Just work 'em and go on.  73
>
> Tom W7WHY

Tom,

As many times as I've posted about this on 3830 and in this reflector, I
would like to pose the question why this is even an issue?  I don't use TR
or N1MM, but if this is true, then why do these programs require you to
apparently override a duplicate prevention scheme in the first place?  Is
this just in a RTTY contest that dupes don't count against you, or is it the
same for all contests?  This goes back to the question, what counts for
less, working a dupe or having a NIL?  I agree, if I work you again, its
because you're not in my log, which means either you work a dupe, or get a
NIL.  Writelog notifies you if it's a dupe, but there's no warning or
prevention for letting you enter it in the log.  It just doesn't score any
points.

Don't get me started on the calls that do it REPEATEDLY as well, because no
one has apparently been able to enlighten them of this fact yet.

Charlie
Ki5xp