Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW 2007 Result W2/NP3D - I just did not

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW 2007 Result W2/NP3D - I just did not
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 08:16:37 -0400
Andrei - I agree with Craig.

I also was shocked the first few serious CQ WW contest I did in my second
round of ham contesting starting in 1997 (first was 1977 - 1984).  There is
no harder NET score of the contests that I do than CQ WW (as it should be
for the "superbowl of DX contests").

When you look at the UBN reports you will be able to evaluate where you are
getting dinged.  I know that I did.  My first score reductions were similar
to yours.  I found that I had a variety of mistakes which I am aware of and
through that awareness have been able to significantly reduce.  My score are
now more like 4 - 6% reduction rather than the 10% plus originally.  I am
still working on improving it.

One of the biggest things you realize is that for 99% of us (P40 rates
expluded) it IS WORTH TAKING THE TIME to get the call right and if you just
can't get it, send NIL and delete it from your log.  Don't say "I am pretty
sure that is it".  The final score will take a hit.  I always listen twice
to confirm that I have the call right on a mult that is likely to be the
only one on a band (ie 3V8 on 80M or 160M) and really make sure that he has
me in the log.

Realize that we are all being judged with the same tool, that you can
significantly improve the score NET through awareness and strategy change,
and most of all, have fun.

73

Ed  N1UR