Re: [CQ-Contest] Wanted: M2 40M3FS-100 and Ferrite Beads

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wanted: M2 40M3FS-100 and Ferrite Beads
From: "Kimo Chun" <kimo@lava.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 06:38:13 -1000
Bob,

Two other choices for ferrite are Lodestone Pacific, 800-694-8089 (CA)
http://www.lodestonepacific.com <http://www.lodestonepacific.com/>  ; and
Kreger Components, 800-609-8186 (on the east coast)
sales@kregercomponents.com . I purchased from Lodestone as their prices,
almost a year ago, were generally lower. However, at the time for what I
wanted, Kreger had better in-stock variety and quantities. I just changed my
order to suit Lodestone's stock as it did not matter in my case.

Lodestone has a $50 minimum order with a per line-item minimum of $25. They
are running a "Back to School Special" this month where the order minimum is
lowered to $25. I just received an email a day or two ago on this. You might
ask for quantity breaks and perhaps what standard case quantities are,
though I am sure they will accommodate and pack any quantity meeting their
minimum order requirements.

As people have reported elsewhere, Lodestone (at least) is an industrial
distributor. They may not provide much help in selection. You pretty much
need to give them specific Fair-Rite part numbers and they will quote you.
So you ought to download Fair-Rite's catalog if you don't have the numbers.
I also asked them to include a printed Fair-Rite catalog with my order.

Also, FYI, cores and beads that are of higher loss (like type 31 which are
better for suppression at 160 to 40M), are considered "EMI Suppression
Cores" and not "Toroids" so you must look in that section for them. The term
"Toroid" is apparently being reserved for transformer application products
though we generally refer to all such "rings" or "doughnuts" as toroids.

73, Aloha,

Kimo Chun, KH7U