[CQ-Contest] Maker Faire - Austin TX - Oct 20-21

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Maker Faire - Austin TX - Oct 20-21
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:39:26 -0700
I am trying to put together some ham radio presence at the Maker Faire
(http://makerfaire.com) in Austin (Travis County Fairgrounds, Oct 20-21).
"Do it yourself" activities are becoming very, very popular, particularly
with young adults, teens, and kids.  These are just exactly the people that
need to find out about ham radio - motivated, tech friendly, interested,
smart.  The sponsors actually list "Ham Radio" as an activity they want to
include but don't have any hams or ham groups signed up.

Contesting is an activity that would attract folks - power, speed, gadgets -
what's not to like?  Take a radio, some maps and charts, maybe a PC (I think
there will be WiFi at the show) and show off a rarely seen part of ham
radio.

The sponsors will make space available (including power and tables) to a
group of hams - are there any contesters that are willing to go to Austin
for a day or two and show off ham radio?  Please contact me off the list and
I'll try to coordinate with the sponsors.  I am sure we can get literature
from the ARRL to hand out.

73, Ward N0AX