Re: [CQ-Contest] Directed CQ (was SS Reminders)

To: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Directed CQ (was SS Reminders)
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:10:38 -0600
Mike:

In my post, I was NOT suggesting that anyone who gets spotted should
be classified as assisted.

The open question (in my mind) is whether someone doing a directed CQ
and who gets spotted, relative to that directed CQ, is being
assisted.  As I said, one could argue that there is, in this case,
human assistance that has been solicited (a definition of "assisted"
that I have seen being given by others).

The more difficult question (primarily for the contest organizers) is
whether to allow directed CQs for unassisted competitors in the
modern world of spotting.

Bill
K0KT

At 01:01 PM 11/3/2007, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:
>So anyone that gets spotted is assisted?
>
>Many stations get posted much more than everyone else.  Random luck or
>assistance?
>
>ND, MT, SD, PAC, VI, VY1 are all spotted quite a bit.  So all those stations
>located there should get moved into the assisted category too?
>

>On 11/3/07 9:51 AM, "William Q Meeker" <wqmeeker@iastate.edu> wrote:
>

> >> Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:11:02 -0600
> >> From: Ken Adams K5KA <k5ka@earthlink.net>
> >> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Reminders
> >> To: cq-contest@contesting.com

> 14.005", am I
> >>>

> >> The key thing to ask yourself is "Am I receiving assistance from another
> >> human?".  If you call CQ for VY1 you might get lucky and have J call
> >> in.  If someone else tells you J is on 14.005 then you have a moral
> >> decision to make, as to whether or not you will act on this information.
> >> 73, Ken K5KA
> >

> > A reasonably likely event is that some one calling "CQ ND" repeatedly would
> > eventually be spotted as "begging for ND" with a casual ND operator then
> > providing the contact. Seems to me like receiving assistance from a human
> > after asking for assistance. Assisted class?
> >
> > Bill
> > K0KT

William Q. Meeker
Department of Statistics