[CQ-Contest] ContestPedition Travel Tips

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ContestPedition Travel Tips
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:31:29 -0800
First, TNX for all the KL8C QSOs in SS.

The old salty dog ContestPeditioners know all this stuff, but perhaps a few
of you can benefit from what I found very helpful during my last two recent
trips to Alaska.

I've added a new few pix to the http://www.k6vva.com/kl8c webpage  for the
following:

1.       Putting small items & cables inside well marked plastic Zip-Lock or
Hefty zipper bags really helps keep things organized.  Once unloaded and
setup, I stack the empty together bags neatly.  When it's time to pack up, I
find this helps to NOT forget and leaving anything behind J  They are also
great for extra barrel connectors, etc.  Some of them get crammed inside my
computer case with the notebook computer, mini-Ergonomic Keyboard and fairly
large Vertical Mouse.  It makes it much easier to deal with all the small
stuff in these bags going through airport security screening.

2.       I used larger plastic bags for clothing items that also served as
additional packing material inside a hardshell golf carrier with the antenna
parts, X-Base, coax, radials, etc., etc.

3.       For both carry-on and checked bagged, I tied about 2 foot lengths
of Orange ribbon I bought at a fabric store to the handles.  This color
coordinates with the Orange TSA combination locks on everything except my
computer case and the hardshell golf carrier.  On the latter, I use TWO wide
TSA combo lock Orange straps not only for additional identification, but in
case of any problem with the non-locking latches on the thing deciding to
come apart, these straps would keep the thing from coming wide open and all
the stuff falling out.

4.       I also put Orange flavored velcro'd soft hand grips on all the
luggage hand-holds (whatever you call them).  Believe me, they made a
difference compared to having your palm rub back and forth on bare plastic.

5.       The cheap-o hardshell golf carrier was less than 80 bucks at Big 5,
but I've taken 70 pounds inside it on two trips now (of course, an
overweight baggage charge, but less hassle than having to deal with an extra
bag that they would charge me for anyway).

6.       I added "Fragile" stickers from the airlines to everything except
the computer case, except they are kinda wimpy.  So I'll make up some LARGER
ones with "Fragile" in BOLD RED, and print several up on full sheet label
stock, cut 'em,  and slap those puppies on.

7.       The reason I chose Orange flavor is because I haven't seen but
maybe one other person use this color.  And, to easily spot my stuff (or
anyone trying to jam out the door with it in hand).

73 & hope this helps someone.

Rick, K6VVA (for KL8C, et.al.)