Re: [CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent? PROVIDE THE VE2 CALL

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent? PROVIDE THE VE2 CALL
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:06:09 -0500
VE3SY said:  "This whole thread would die if the original poster would simply
provide the VE2 callsign.   We could then confirm where that operation was
located."

Paul, as the originator (perpetrator?) I appreciate the several offers of help
from you and others, but I was NOT trying to find out what Zone he was in.  I
was only trying to learn how CQ WW would handle the scoring when a station
sends the wrong zone, and how/if to log things in such a case.  My submitted
log has what I copied: Zone 2.  I was just wondering what was going to happen
if the VE2 were really in Zone 5, which would still be a mult for me on that
band.

What I have learned:  CQ WW generally does not care what Zone you log -- they
will score your log in accordance with the best data they have as to where the
station was.  Yes, if somebody sent the wrong zone then you might lose a mult
you thought you had -- if you did not work another station in that zone.  K0HB
thinks that is unfair; many others think is a risk you have to deal with.  K0HB
and I prefer contests where you have to actually copy something more than a
call sign (CU SS!); it appears that almost all the WW participants like it the
way it is.

Thanks, again, to all who offered info and help.

People who want make sure they have the right Zone for the VE2s in their log
can review this thread in the archives.  Or they can go sit in the corner for
30 minutes for even considering fixing their errors after the contest.  If
anybody really wants to know my VE2's call, e-mail me after the log deadline
(including the allowable 30-day extension).

73, Art K3KU