Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R-SO1R from The Yukon??

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R-SO1R from The Yukon??
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:08:40 -0500
> No antenna system can do what a second radio can do: Allow you to
> listen while transmitting, and do it on any band you like.

No number of radios can do what big antennas can do: allow you to
hear a whole new level of signals, signals that would be unavailable
in any other form.

> And Joe, please stop with your nonsense about my "jihad" against
> two-radio operation. I am all in favor of two-radio operation and I
> always have been.

By calling for a distinction based only on the number of radios
that an operator MAY use during a contest, you are engaging in a
jihad against SOnR where n > 1.  The distinction is not the number
of radios available to the operator, it is that all operating
activities are conducted by a single operator without assistance.

When you convince all contest sponsors to create a separate entry
category for those who use low, non-gain antennas whether by choice,
zoning restrictions, HOA regulation or simply lack of space, you
will have the moral standing to argue for separate entry categories
for other hardware limitations.  As it is, except for the historical
accident of power based categories (which I believe should be
eliminated), there are no hardware classifications.  If you want to
change the paradigm, make that change based on the most important
factor, and the one most subject to "checkbook competition" first.

The ability to effectively utilize any tool (a second receiver, a
second transceiver, a keyer, a computer, one's own ears, etc.) is
a skill developed with practice.  To segregate operators based on
the skill set they have developed is not in keeping with the
tradition of radiosport.

> I am all in favor of two-radio operation and I always have been.
> I have never once said anything bad about it, never called for
> outlawing it or discouraged it in any way.

You cannot have it both ways.  It is not possible to support two-
radio operation and simultaneously call for SO2R operators to be
put in a separate class but that is exactly what you are doing when
you call for a separate entry category for those who "only use one
radio."  You end up with separate categories whether you create
a "new category" for those who only use a single radio or banish
those who use two or more radios to a separate category.

It is time for you to stop trying to have it both ways.  If you are
in favor of hardware based classifications, step up to the plate
and convince contest sponsors to create reasonable classifications
starting with antennas.  If you are not willing to do that, stop
being a hypocrite with your simple minded focus on SO2R.