Re: [CQ-Contest] SOxR -- enough already

To: "'Greg Fields'" <gwfields@comcast.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SOxR -- enough already
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:43:13 +0200
my 2 cents into this funny everlasting discussion.

It does not matter how big advantage SO2R gives ot how hard it is do it. Of
course it gives you advantage and of course it requires some skill do it.
But the same way operating split using two VFO's on 40m SSB requires 2 VFO's
and some skill. It is not so hard to listen to mixed signals. SO2R is not
difficult. Anybody who has two ears (or even one for that matter) can do
SO2R if he has the equipment and can get some advantage.

It is of course possible if the majority demands and organizers decide so to
make SO2R a different category by trying to define using more than 1
receiver. But you will still have only 1 signal in the air. And it will be
very difficult to define more than one receiver. Any tranceiver with 2 VFO's
has it and should be classified SO2R. Otherwise people with new equipment
like FT9000's will get away with having SO2R in one radio. It is virtually
impossible to define it properly and clearly not rational and sensible to
try make that a separate catergory given the state of sophistication and
different varieties in nowadays radios. And it is true that it is comparable
to suggesting making separate category for any other equipment related
advantage in the field of antennas or station automation.

Categories for different power levels are clearly justified stemming from
history and overwhelming need for LP and assisted vs non-assisted probably
the same. Although the cluster cheating is too widespread in EU now those
guys will go down soon and will learn their lesson and we get order in this
category.

73
tonno
es5tv